Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mother's Day

So I got my gift early tonight...because it was such a good gift that I would love, hubby couldn't wait. He started talking about it about 3 weeks ago. How great and how perfect this particular gift was for me. I should preface by saying two things. 1. I hate surprises. Totally, can't stand them. 2. I hate getting an expensive gift after being asked for 11 months to "cut expenses" (like at Target! not Prada). So, tonight, the boys unveiled the best gift for me: an industrial size hand sanitizer that mounts on the wall. With refills.
Granted, their hearts and minds were in the right place. But...NOOOOOOO! Opening the gift, I immediately flashed back to my classroom a year ago where multiple children would line up to use said object and/or the numerous times the device never worked and secreted an oozing goop of slime on the floor for days. Not a warm fuzzy memory...plus the fact I was dismissed from said job for lower paid neophyte. And...really what does it say about me????
Nothing good. And even though I know I am overly-zealous when it comes to hand -washing...at least I am old school. Hand-washing. In a sink. With hot water and soap. Happy Mother's Day to me...germ-a-phobe! It is my nightmare realized...
Two years ago, I was subbing in a classroom and the students were writing about what their moms always say to them. I must admit my first thought was, "Oh no, my kids are going to say, "Did you wash your hands?" But later that night, I asked my sons what I always say to them and they said you always say, "I love you." Phew! But yet, hand sanitizer as gift???

No comments:

Post a Comment