Mom of Asperger's, ADHD child tells how life is like this. It is different than raising a typical child. It requires more support, understanding, and sharing.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Progress Report
Annual review time. At school, Builder has had a great year; academically and socially. It is the first year I haven't talked to the principal on a weekly basis...so I believe it. It is is wild to think of the different boy we see. Luckily the school hasn't seen any of the behaviors we have in our home. Excellent...I guess. Of course, we are thrilled to hear he is doing well. But...what's up with that? Are you kidding me??? He can hold it together there and not here...really? Apparently, this is typical of "these kids" to quote a favored doc of mine. He hears that all the time. Kids are fine at school and at home they are a challenge. OK...so, this explains why other moms say how nice, sweet, and kind our kids are and gently offer advice on how to handle them. Raising my eyebrows and tilting my head, I always just nod and say yeahhh... What I should do is hand out passes to the nightly show that is most likely going to occur that evening at dusk. Apparently, the show must go on if that is what it takes for the release of the enormous pressure these children feel to keep it together for eight hours. As parents, we are ringmasters, tiger tamers, and high wire walkers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment