Thursday, February 4, 2010

Love You Forever

As many of you know...I love the book Love You Forever. I really cannot ever read it without tearing up. Ever. I know, as much as I "blog", I know what the B stands for...I already miss these days. Just like I already miss those days that were so long and so busy and so filled with the constant needs of little kids. I miss strollers; they kept them captive. I miss car seats; they limited movement. I miss Mommy and Me classes...not really at all, ever. I do miss art at Wilmette Community Center with Jan. But, I miss Mommy and Me. Naps. Hugs. Pulling them out of the car enabled you to kiss them quick.
So, here is a fun game to play using the book, Love You Forever. Last Spring, Builder and I played Bingo at the school fair for about four hours. The first prize he grabbed..and I knew he would...I guess I do have hope...was a stuffed bunny that looked identical to the bunny in Love You Forever. Needless to say, I was thrilled.
He took the bunny to overnight camp and sleeps with it every night. He really does love me? Maybe? So, tonight, he took the bunny and threw it at me from his loft bed. I threw it back and said, "Love You Forever." He smiled and threw it back and said, "Love You Forever." I threw it back and said, "Love You Forever...even though you say swear words at me." And so it went...back and forth. He loved it. I was acknowledging that he does a lot of really trying behaviors...but we still love him. He tried to come up with reasons to fault me or not like me..but luckily he couldn't. Well at least they were not fact based.
Here's to hope. And acknowledging the bad behavior is not acceptable. And that the child within is.

2 comments:

  1. ooohhh, great 'game'. I tell the kids every night that every day I love them a little bit more and nothing they can do will make me love them any less. Good to acknowledge the love, loving the child, but not the behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ROCK! It's powerful to find the joy as well as the learning opportunities in those daily moments. I find it so hard to do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete