Sunday, May 10, 2009

Tough Guy

The best part of Mother's Day...putting your children to bed; because later you can watch them sleeping and think how sweet they really are. During the day when they are clubbing each other, whining, and talking back...not so much. My Mother's Day really turned out quite perfectly. The children were convinced to help clean up in order to have family friends over for dinner. Husband cleaned out fridge and eradicated all mold growing in that environment. Sweet. You can tell I am not a roses and chocolate kind of gal.
Plus, I got a hand-picked out card and flowers from Builder this morning. He went to the store with Dad while I stayed on the couch with Bounce and watched a riveting Hannah Montana. The card Builder picked out says, "Happy Mother's Day to the best mom in the world from that always hungry, seldom serious, frequently wacky, often rowdy, occasionally tidy, not quite civilized, almost lovable little tough guy who grew up to be me." Designed to be given by an adult, I am not surprised Builder chose it. He thinks he is 25. But it did stop me in my tracks. He gets it. I need to get it too. Someday he will be older; and apparently, there have been many moms before me who also had Builders living in their homes. (Is it fair to say driving them crazy???) And they grew up. Most live in Seattle now, but still, on their own.
Tonight, while tucking them in, I thanked Builder for the card and quoted a few of the adjectives on the card to the boys. I asked Builder his favorite part of the card and he sheepishly said, "the bottom of the card". "You know Mom, tough guy".
He is my tough guy. In so many ways! He thinks he's tough because he can swear like a sailor and defy any request. (And he has mastered that cool guy walk!) I think he's tough; because I need to parent this pipsqueak Sinbad into a respectful, educated, kind person. He is my tough guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment